We are less than two weeks away from the debut of Read Tuesday, a Black Friday type of sales event just for book lovers scheduled for December 10, 2013.
There has been a surge of interest in the past 24 hours:
- WordPress sent me a “Your stats are booming” flag, saying that there were 10 times more views per hour this morning than usual. I’ve seen many milestone flags, like reaching a certain number of followers or likes, but this is the first time I’ve seen the booming stats flag. It’s pretty cool.
- We’ve had over 300 views so far today on the Read Tuesday website. The most popular pages have been the author page, homepage, book catalog, participating authors, and contact us. This is in addition to the traffic we get on Facebook (we get the most traffic there by far) and Twitter, plus several tweets and retweets mentioning Read Tuesday.
- Many readers and authors have checked out the catalogs today, and many authors have also opened the Google Docs forms to add their books.
- Some published authors have contacted me to inquire about how they might participate and support the program.
- I’ve received a flurry of emails from authors who would like to sign up.
- Sandra Beckwith, a former publicist, was very kind in mentioning Read Tuesday on her blog, and also mentioning Read Tuesday in her email newsletter. As Sandra has a following among authors who are looking for promotional opportunities, I suspect this partly explains the recent surge in traffic.
- We also have a Read Tuesday press release that’s helping us stimulate interest among the media. For example, this article came out yesterday. This shows that we have traffic coming from many angles, with separate efforts geared toward readers and authors (both are vitally important).
- Advertisements running on a few different sites are making tens of thousands of impressions and have also generated some of our traffic.
- Some popular authors have already signed up, and this is helping us create more interest.
- The biggest factor has been the tremendous support and participation of book lovers who have embraced the concept of Read Tuesday and are looking forward to it. So many people are helping to spread the news. It’s amazing and if Read Tuesday turns out to be a huge success (“What do you mean, ‘if’?” Of course it will), indubitably you are the reason. Thank you for your support. 🙂
You know what this means, don’t you?
It’s the golden rule of marketing:
Work hard to create publicity and when your marketing efforts finally start to pay off, what you need to do is step things up even more.
This is our chance to roll with the momentum and really get things going. Let’s spread the news far and wide. We should have penguins lining up in Antarctica, waiting for Read Tuesday. 🙂
Interest should be growing as we approach December 10, and today is a very good sign.
Book lovers can check out the catalog by clicking here.
Authors can learn how to sign up by clicking here.
Give the gift of reading this holiday season.
Chris McMullen, Founder of Read Tuesday
Join over 600 followers (@ReadTuesday) on Twitter.
Be one of over 900 book lovers to Like the Read Tuesday Facebook page.