Read Tuesday is a Black Friday type of event just for book lovers.
In 2014, Read Tuesday falls on Tuesday, December 9.
It’s a great opportunity to gift e-books or stock up on good reading.
It’s also a great opportunity for authors to stimulate 4th quarter sales.
We’re adding two news promotions to Read Tuesday:
- simple price drops on Kindle (as opposed to Countdown Deals)—see below for more details
- review copies to be given away (last year, we had some traditionally published authors interested in this)
Here are ways that readers can save big on Read Tuesday:
- Participating Kindle Countdown Deals, price drops, and FREE e-books will make for great e-books to gift.
- Participating Smashwords discount codes will also make for great e-books to gift.
- Participating Kindle MatchBook offers will have FREE Kindle prices—so you can give the paperback as a gift and keep the Kindle e-book for yourself.
- New releases available as preorders will also be featured on Read Tuesday.
- Contact authors who have review copies to give away.
Here are ways for authors to participate in Read Tuesday on December 9, 2014:
- Create a Kindle Countdown Deal at Amazon.com that includes Tuesday, December 9, 2014. It’s okay if it starts early or ends late, as long as it includes December 9.
- Create a Kindle Countdown Deal at Amazon UK. You don’t have to do a Countdown Deal at both Amazon.com and Amazon UK—you can choose just one or the other, if you wish. Or neither. See below for other ways to participate.
- Make a temporary reduction in list price at Kindle (25% minimum reduction). Note that a Countdown Deal is preferred and that a Countdown Deal may result in greater visibility compared to a simple price drop on the Read Tuesday site. (If your starting price is $1.99 or $2.99, check that your converted .mobi size is not too large to prohibit this. If you have many pictures, this could be an issue.)
- Create a Smashwords discount code that can be posted here at Read Tuesday on December 9, 2014. A minimum discount of 40% is required.
- If you have a print book and Kindle e-book eligible for a MatchBook offer, make the MatchBook offer FREE on Tuesday, December 9. We will promote this as follows: Customers can buy the print edition and give it as a gift, keeping the free Kindle e-book for themselves. The Kindle edition will only be free to customers who buy the print edition first.
- Release a new book. If your book is available for preorder on Tuesday, December 9, you can participate by having a new book out in time for the holidays.
- If you have a book suitable for children, tweens, or teens, create supplemental reading materials for your book that we can include on the Read Tuesday website. You can participate in Read Tuesday by using free supplemental reading materials to encourage reading or to help improve reading fluency and comprehension.
- Have multiple review copies to giveaway? Have a Contact Me page on your blog or website? We’ll give you a chance to interact with readers who may be interested in reading review copies.
Authors and publishers can participate in Read Tuesday by signing up for one (or more) of the options listed above. An announcement will be made when sign-up becomes available. Participation is free.
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 9, 2014
Give the gift of reading this holiday season.
Chris McMullen, founder of Read Tuesday
Follow Read Tuesday (@ReadTuesday) on Twitter
Like the Read Tuesday page at Facebook