FREE BOOK MARKETING
Every day I encounter authors who are struggling to find sites that will help promote their books. They’re trying to find places like BookBub, E-reader News Today, and several others. They’re trying to find bloggers to help promote their books. Etc.
Let us help you out. It’s free.
I first published in 2008. From 2008 thru 2012, I observed that my sales dropped from Thanksgiving thru Cyber Monday, yet my sales always peaked in December.
Why wasn’t I benefiting from the Black Friday and Cyber Monday traffic? Because those shoppers are looking for (A) great deals and (B) electronics, clothing, and other gifts.
So in 2013, I proposed a new shopping holiday called Read Tuesday. It’s 2014 and we’re having the second annual Read Tuesday. This year it falls on December 9, 2014.
Read Tuesday is a Black Friday type of event just for book lovers. Readers and gift-givers get great deals on books. Authors get free marketing. It’s a win-win situation.
Of course, I can’t guarantee results. I can help you get more exposure, and some books will benefit from this, but not all.
At Amazon or Smashwords, for example, your book is one tiny fish in a huge ocean of millions of books.
If you participate in Read Tuesday, you can be a big fish in a small pond. The odds are in your favor. Your chances of exposure are much better. Now of course some books attract buyers better than others, so I can’t guarantee that every book will take advantage of the improved odds.
But it’s free. What’s the risk? (I could charge money for this. But I don’t. I do all the work to promote the event. It’s my little way of paying it forward.)
Read Tuesday shoppers will see your book in the catalog, which gives you valuable exposure. If you sell some books, good; if you sell many, great; if you don’t sell much, at least you gained exposure. The more marketable your book, the better your chances.
And if you market your book in addition to just submitting your book, that can help, too.
In fact, Read Tuesday gives you an opportunity promote your book while promoting the event. Instead of screaming, “Check out my book,” you can scream, “Check out Read Tuesday,” and get your book discovered in the process. Some authors take better advantage of such opportunities than others, but the potential is there.
I’m working to promote the event and several authors are helping. You can help, too.
For example, we’re launching a ThunderClap promotion that will go live on Read Tuesday. We currently have a social reach of nearly 400,000 with a week to improve this (see below for how you can help).
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
You can still sign up, but time is running out.
There are many ways to participate. Almost all authors should be able to find at least one way to sign up.
Choose one of the Google Docs forms below, complete the form, and you’re signed up. Easy peasy.
You can still sign up (this post was written on November 30), but time is running out.
- Create a Kindle promotional price that includes Tuesday, December 9. Submit a Kindle promotion here.
- Create a Smashwords discount code. Submit a Smashwords discount code.
- Create a CreateSpace discount code. Submit a CreateSpace discount code.
- Create a MatchBook offer with a free Kindle price. Submit your free MatchBook offer here.
- Create a free print book giveaway. Submit a free print book giveaway here.
- After completing one of the forms above, you’re eligible to become part of the Meet-the-Authors page: Sign up for the Meet the Author Page.
Submission is easy and should go smoothly—you just fill out a Google Docs form. However, if you encounter any issues, have questions, receive an error message, or see a symptom that might suggest that your information didn’t save, please use the Contact Us form on the Read Tuesday website.
You can submit more than one book. You can sign up with more than one method.
Know fellow authors? Please tell a friend. But hurry: Time is running out!
HELP SPREAD THE WORD
Please support the Read Tuesday Thunderclap. This will help spread awareness on the morning of Read Tuesday (December 9, 2014).
It’s easy to help:
- Visit http://thndr.it/1CkO2Bg.
- Click Facebook, Twitter, or Tumblr and sign in.
- Customize the message. (Optional.)
- Agree to the terms. All that will happen is that the Thunderclap post about Read Tuesday will go out the morning of December 9.
- (The warning message simply means that Facebook, Twitter, or Tumblr need your permission to post the Thunderclap message on December 9. This is the only post that Thunderclap will make.)
READ TUESDAY, DECEMBER 9, 2014
Give the gift of reading this holiday season.
Chris McMullen, founder of Read Tuesday
Follow Read Tuesday (@ReadTuesday) on Twitter
Like the Read Tuesday page at Facebook